If I Have a Water Leak That Damages the Condominium Unit Below Me, Whose Insurance Pays?

(336) 373-1736

Water damage is often covered within a home insurance policy. If you are inside of a condominium, the line becomes a little bit confusing because you have to determine who’s insurance is going to pay when the condominium unit below, you experiences damage.

If there is a water leak as a result of problems with the actual plumbing in the building, you may actually be able to get the homeowners association to pay for the damage in both your unit and the unit below you. They have insurance on the building itself, and a water leak can be considered a worthy claim.

Your insurance policy may or may not cover the water damage from another unit. This means that you will need to explore your policy in detail. If the person below, you has their own homeowners insurance policy, they may not even bother looking your way for money. They may file a claim within their own insurance and deal with everything on their own.

However, if you have neighbors who want to go after you for the water damage that they have experienced, you will need to explore what your homeowner’s insurance policy covers, as well as what the condo association’s insurance covers.

As long as everyone has a policy, it is unlikely that you will have to be responsible for any of the damages out of your own pocket. It can simply take a little bit longer for the claim to be processed because of determining who was at fault for the water damage to begin with, as well as who should pay. Water leaks are different than flooding, so it will impact your homeowners insurance, and not have anything to do with actual flooding or flood insurance.

The moment that you notice any kind of water leak, you will want to get it under control – and then contact your homeowners insurance to find out how it is going to impact you as well is the unit below you.