Comprehensive and Collision Insurance

(336) 373-1736

Auto Comprehensive and Collision Insurance

If you’ve ever purchased auto insurance, you’ve probably heard all of the associated terms and phrases that go with it. Collision. Comprehensive. But sometimes, it’s all a blur for the consumer. You know that you need it, but what does it all mean? Do you need both? And what’s the difference between collision coverage and comprehensive coverage?

Both comprehensive and collision help to cover the cost of repairing or replacing your car in the event of an accident. The type of coverage you are required to have is determined by your state and your particular insurance company, but many people are not required by law to have comprehensive or collision. If you are leasing your car, for instance, the leasing company may require you to have additional insurance to protect the car that you’re driving.

Comprehensive insurance protects your car from damages incurred from incidents other than car collisions.

If your car is involved in another type of accident, comprehensive insurance covers it. For instance, if you hit a large animal with your car, comprehensive insurance covers the resulting damage. Other categories of damage covered by comprehensive insurance are fire, theft, acts of vandalism, natural disasters, and any objects that fall on or hit your car.
Collision is another category of coverage that you can elect to buy, only in addition to comprehensive insurance. Collision simply covers your car in the event of an accident with another car, or if you hit another object. For example, if you hit a wall or a pole (it happens), you can use your collision coverage to help pay the cost of the repair.

While you may not be required to have comprehensive or collision coverage, they do work together to fully protect your car. If you have questions about these options, or if you’re considering adding collision, you should talk to your insurance agent.